From: owner-scirocco-l@scirocco.org
[mailto:owner-scirocco-l@scirocco.org]On Behalf Of T Berk
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2001 7:30 PM
To: Mk1gti@yahoogroups.com
Cc: Scirocco
Subject: Re: [Mk1gti] [tech] 2.0l Swap 8V

Sal wrote:

> I understand that I can either use a 2.0l block from an Audi (engine code
> 3A) or use an 2.0l block from a newer VW (engine code ABA).
>
> Which one should I source out for my 8V upgrade?  Does it make a
difference?
> I heard that I may encounter a problem with getting the exhaut to fit
> properly.  So which one should I be getting?
>
> BTW, the car is an 84 Rabbit.
>
> TIA
>
> Sal

The Audi block is the same height is the same as the VW block you have
now. The ABA is known as a 'tall block', to make it fit you will need
some kind of downpipe or adapter that will bridge the small difference.

Techtonics is famous for having one of these for you if you go the
taller block route.
<http://www.tttuning.com>

Either way be sure you use a dual manifold/downpipe instead of the singe
down pipe the non GTI 84s come with.

Check it out:
<http://www.volkswagen.org> Check out Engine Swaps link.

<http://www-pal.usc.edu/~jan/cars.html>