Re: [TECH] Front Wheel Bearings...NNNNOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Now you have to remember that the inner part of the front bearings are two
piece so when you press in the hub after installing the bearing into the
knuckly assy you place the hub on a flat piece of steel on the press, shaft
up, then press the knuckle assy/new bearing ONTO the hub.  You have to use a
piece of steel on top of the knuckle assy/bearing that will alow the hub
shaft to come through the bearing slightly.  I don't believe it actually
comes through but it's good to be sure you aren't blocking the progress of
the hub coming through the bearing.  IF you don't press the hub in by
supporting the back side of the bearing it can come apart, feel loose, and
have reduced life if installed this way.  Don't ask how I know!!  Once you
do it a couple times it gets to be a breeze.  I can install a bearing in
about 15 minutes and that includes taking it off the car and puting it back
on!!  The other possibility is that the hub is worn and won't be tight in
the bearing.  This is very common where the hub takes very little pressure
to pop out of the old bearing, or the bearing is VERY worn (you know, wheel
moves about an inch back and forth!!).  You can tell by the tapered look to
the end of the shaft of the hub.  IF you can get the hub to easily slide
into the bearing AT ALL, then the hub needs to be replaced.  It should
always be a very tight fit!   HTH!!

Dave