Re:'76's - WAS- '75 Mk1 - What to look for

Now that we're getting to 76's, Doug and I will be new owners of a '76 next
Saturday.  We had an '81 FSP car that someone torched a month ago.  We knew
that if a better car turned up, we would swap the '81 parts into another
car.  Turns out that someone in Santa Monica is selling a silver '76.  The
seller is the ORIGINAL OWNER!  He's got Dick Wong beat by 2 years!!  He has
absolutely EVERYTHING on this car.  He kept every scrap of paper, every part
that broke!

The car is in pretty good shape.  It was repainted in the mid-80's and it's
still shiny.  That's really good for silver.  There are three door dings and
a small dent in the middle of the front spoiler.  There is a quarter-size
rust spot on the passenger front fender near the bottom where water can
collect.  That's really good for a 76!  The windshield seal needs to be
replaced.  The interior is all original.  The dash has small cracks and the
door panels are perfect with NO SPEAKER HOLES.  The seats need to be
replaced, but we're going to put in race seats anyhow.  The car smells a lot
more like an old beetle than a water-cooled VW.  The carpet has a really
large weave to it that looks like the beetle fabric.

This car is going to be really amazing when it reamerges from Doug's garage
a year from now.  The car is carbed now and it has no compression on 2
cylinders.  We will be swapping in our 130hp 1.8 anyhow, so the engine isn't
a big deal to us.  I think the car will only have to be smogged once before
it gets too old for the smog laws.  We know the carb -> FI swap will be a
pain, but this car is definitely worth it.  Hopefully we will be driving
this car to ND next year (possibly with the original owner) and you guys are
going to be blown away by it.  Stay tuned for more info and pictures!

Ian Overholt
'88 16v
'78 Champagne Edition

P.S. The current plan with the burnt car is to keep it running in FSP until
we have the '76 chassis all prepped for the swappage.  This might be a while
since we have to pass a smog check before we can put the '76 back on the
road.  One path to this might be to swap the 1.5 motor from my 78 into the
76 and smog that car with carbs and all (it has the non-catalyst sticker!).
Then we have to do all the FI related stuff (fuel tank, pump, lines, wires
and brain).  Then all suspension, steering (P/S), transmission and engine
parts swap from the 81 to the 76.