From: Mike VanAmburgh [mailto:E30@iLand.net]
Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2001 3:00 PM
To: Scirocco
Subject: Re: Anyone replace their lug bolts with studs and nuts?

> > Studs break and wheels fall off. Hows that for a downside?
>
> Let's see...how many million American cars were made, nearly all with
> studs, nearly all with more weight and power, and have I *ever* heard
> of a stud breaking, causing a wheel to fall off?  Not once.

I had a stud break on a VR6 Jetta, but of course the wheel didn't fall
off.  It caused the wheel to wobble enough for me to have to stop tho.

> I've got a pathetically bad back, even after recent surgery.  Holding a
> wheel against the hub, trying to spin it into place, and then thread a
> lug bolt is a GRAND PAIN IN THE ASS.

How can this be a pain in the ass?  Look at the holes on the wheel and
the holes on the hub and line them up the closest you can *before*
lifting it.  Now if you were to say lining up the holes on the fronts of
a rear wheel drive BMW in which the front wheels spin freely is a pain
in the ass, I'd agree with you!  After 8 or so autocrosses with the car,
I'm getting better at it tho.  :-)

After having the stud kit on the Jetta, I will never use studs again.
It is more a pain in the ass to me to get the wheel on those damn
studs.  With bolts, you just slap the wheel on and spin a little if you
need to.  I was forced to use the stud kit because the wheels I had on
the car didn't have bolt holes drilled big enough for the larger
diameter VR6 bolts. I had to use the 'adapter' studs.  Now if your
wheels aren't hubcentric, then it could become a pain in the ass.

I bought a set of Borbet rims for a GTI VR6 and they came with a free
stud kit.  I hate them so much that I ordered tapered bolts instead.

> Now, can anyone else (thanks Larry) tell me where I can get them????

Discount Tire.  Good luck!  http://www.tires.com

Mike

[Disclaimer]This e-mail is strictly confidential and intended solely for the
addressee. It may contain information which is covered by legal,
professional, or other privilege. If you are not the intended addressee you
must not use, disclose, or copy this transmission. This E-mail is not
intended to impose nor shall it be construed as imposing any legally binding
obligation upon GKN Aerospace Chem-tronics Inc. and/or any of its
subsidiaries or associated companies. Neither GKN Aerospace Chem-tronics
Inc. nor any of its subsidiaries or associated companies gives any
representation or warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the
contents of this E-mail. GKN Aerospace Chem-tronics Inc. shall not be held
liable to any person resulting from the use of any information contained in
this E-mail and shall not be liable to any person who acts or omits to do
anything in reliance upon it.