Re: Anyone replace their lug bolts with studs and nuts?

> > Studs break and wheels fall off. Hows that for a downside?
>
> Let's see...how many million American cars were made, nearly all with
> studs, nearly all with more weight and power, and have I *ever* heard
> of a stud breaking, causing a wheel to fall off?  Not once.

I had a stud break on a VR6 Jetta, but of course the wheel didn't fall
off.  It caused the wheel to wobble enough for me to have to stop tho.

> I've got a pathetically bad back, even after recent surgery.  Holding a
> wheel against the hub, trying to spin it into place, and then thread a
> lug bolt is a GRAND PAIN IN THE ASS.

How can this be a pain in the ass?  Look at the holes on the wheel and
the holes on the hub and line them up the closest you can *before*
lifting it.  Now if you were to say lining up the holes on the fronts of
a rear wheel drive BMW in which the front wheels spin freely is a pain
in the ass, I'd agree with you!  After 8 or so autocrosses with the car,
I'm getting better at it tho.  :-)

After having the stud kit on the Jetta, I will never use studs again.
It is more a pain in the ass to me to get the wheel on those damn
studs.  With bolts, you just slap the wheel on and spin a little if you
need to.  I was forced to use the stud kit because the wheels I had on
the car didn't have bolt holes drilled big enough for the larger
diameter VR6 bolts. I had to use the 'adapter' studs.  Now if your
wheels aren't hubcentric, then it could become a pain in the ass.

I bought a set of Borbet rims for a GTI VR6 and they came with a free
stud kit.  I hate them so much that I ordered tapered bolts instead.

> Now, can anyone else (thanks Larry) tell me where I can get them????

Discount Tire.  Good luck!  http://www.tires.com

Mike