Re: Crabby 16v

Rear bearings are fine and the body is good.  The trailing arms (now
that I know what they are called) are visiably bent.  The passanger rear
is visably cocked at an angle on the vertical plane and the whole wheel
is twisted to the right so that it's pointing outside of the wheel well
a bit.  ( PO says he jumped a curb after being tapped in the back by
another car).  Amazingly enough, aside from the crabbing, all the damage
causes is a bit of un-even tire wear on the rear tires.  As for my
location, I'm in Cartersville Ga, about 45min north of Atlanta.

William

Cheapass Ron Wrote:

Replacement of the rear axle beam is a pretty straighforward
nut-and-bolt affair.  Any A1 VW rear axle beam will work, AFAIK.
You'll probably have to move over your rear sway bar, and of course
your brake assemblies and stub axles.  Easy enough to do...I'd
recommend new axle beam bushings, new brake lines, and new e-brake
cables while you're at it.

Check that it's your rear axle beam/trailing arms that are bent and
there is nothing wrong with the unit body.  Also, if you've been eating
rear wheel bearings, it could be just a stub axle alone.

Where are you located?

Ron