From: L. M. Lloyd [mailto:ubik@austin.rr.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2001 7:07 AM
To: vze26kw6@verizon.net; Scirocco Mailing List (E-mail)
Subject: RE: [CHALLENGE] Scirocco VS Accord ???

This is just a personal tangent rant here, but in the short time I
have been on this list I have noticed a fair amount of "Scirocco vs.
X" posts, and I have to say that they baffle me. I have never raced
in a legal event, but I have had quite a few impromptu, illegal
street races, and I have found that the type of cars involved in the
race have never really had much to do with who wins. It has always
seemed to me to be much more about the drivers and road conditions
involved. I mean, in flat straight-line acceleration I have not seen
many cars that *can't* beat a Scirocco, but once you get on a winding
back road, it doesn't really seem to matter what kind of car you
have. What seems to matter more is how good a driver you are, and how
well you know the limits of your car. I have beaten Porches, Acura
NSXs, BMW M3s, and all manner of car that I should not have had any
chance of even keeping up with, yet the hardest race I ever had was
with a plain, unmodded CRX, with a great driver behind the wheel!
Why? Because most of those cars I have beaten were being driven by
people who bought the car to look good, and never went appreciably
over the speed limit unless they were on a freeway. People like that
have no idea what their car's limits are, and chicken-out as soon as
they come up on the first corner at 70mph, even if their car could
have made the turn with no problem. The fact is that most cars on the
road can go faster than is probably advisable on a public street, so
it really comes down to skill and balls. I can't even count how many
times I have seen some far more powerful car leave me completely in
the dust at the line, only for me to end up winning because they took
all the curves 20mph below what I was comfortable with in my trusty
Scirocco!

I guess what I am really trying to say, is that unless you are drag
racing from stoplight to stoplight, then any car you are comfortable
with (within reason) will be a good racing machine. If what you are
looking for is fast off-the-line drag racing times, then get a muscle
car and be done with it. It is awfully hard to beat a 5.0 Mustang
with NOS in a quarter mile if you are set on a VW. I think the real
joy of the Scirocco is its wonderful handling, and that is going to
make the car a joy to race against almost any car.

The goal is to overcome the deliberate nature of the process.