RE: waking up a cop late at night at a light.... WAS: What do you get when you pass the State trooper at 85?

I've had a similar situation with the inbred cops back home.  I was driving
my Beetle at the time, and was home from school for the summer.  I dropped
my wife (GF at the time) at her parents' house and headed back to my
parents' house.  On the way, I took off from the 4-way stop (the biggest,
busiest intersection in town) and got on it pretty hard, but didn't exceed
the 35mph speed limit and didn't spin the tires.  Shortly after I pulled
into the driveway the town clown pulled in behind me, although I was already
on the porch on my way in the house.  Then he was followed by his uncle,
also on the force.  Within 30 seconds, an F-150 and a Grand Am (entry-level
redneck car) pulled up behind them - personal vehicles belonging to the rest
of the police force.  I had the entire town's police force in my driveway to
tell me about how I "squalled mah tars" (which was a fabrication, but they
were trying to get me for anything they could think of).  I was standing on
the porch when the Boy Wonder asked Uncle Jim-Bob if he should make me wait
in my car (I wasn't there when he pulled up).  Uncle Jim-Bob told my dad
what a bad boy I'd been  (Dad didn't care - he knows a stupid hillbilly when
he hears one), and then warned me that although they wouldn't do anything
this time, the next time I'd "pay dearly", whatever the hell that means.

The following weekend, Uncle Jim-Bob's son (yes, he's on the force too - mom
is the town marshal) pulled me over for the same reason - "unsafe" takeoff.
I explained that if I were driving a different car, I could take off
quicker, and because it made less engine noise, nobody would pay attention
to me, and by what standard was I measured to have accelerated too quickly,
because I know I didn't exceed the speed limit, which was the only
measureable standard of which I was aware.  I also reminded him that at no
time did my tires break traction.

I guess I should think more before I tear up the roads in my Beetle with its
stock 1600 single port engine.  Wonder what they would do when I finish it -
turbo and all...

Aaron
'87 528e
'82 Scirocco