RE: complete 16v turbo kit

The very anal yet ever on-point engineer, Larry Fry wrote:
> Scott-
>   I'm surprised to hear you, of all people, say that.  If you are
> approximately doubling your HP, at the same rpm, this means your
> torque has been approx doubled.

Well, I'm not actually coming close to doubling the stock 2.0l 16v power
which was 134, I think? This is really a 36% increase. From it's current
unstressed configuration, this marks a 24% jump.

> This would double the forces/stresses on the engines
> bottom end.  Without modifications, the life of your engine has just been
> halved. (not to mention the rest of your drivetrain).  Durability is not
> totally unchanged....

Well, no. Anytime that you ask the motor to do more work, you affect
durability. I realize that. I was technically incorrect to say that
durability is "totally unchanged". I do think it is fair to say that the
durability will not be compromised beyond the point that I deem acceptable!
Nor do I feel that the bottom end requires any special preparation to handle
the added stress.

Mind you, I also plan to do a 50 shot of nitrous for a total of over 250hp.
With a combo of vastly superior engine management (TEC-II) and funky brew
gasoline (lots of tolulene or actual race gas), this should be pretty easy
on the car. Please make me eat my words if I post about a catastrophic
failure sometime in the future. :^)

>  So, what's half a life?  100-150K miles??!!  Ha!  That's a no-brainer....
> GO FOR IT!  :)

My sentiments exactly!
Scott F. Williams
Account Manager