Re: Exhaust manifold-downpipe studs? Replaceable?

My experience is that if the easy out breaks while trying to extract frozen studs, you are screwed.  They are made of a substance that is impervious to drill bits.  Here is what I would do:

Take a screw driver or similar tool and place over the broken stud, and give the screwdriver a solid few whacks with a hammer.  The shock may help loosen the rust/corrosion/crap that is keeping the stud locked into the manifold.  Drill out as much of the stud as possible without going into the manifold.  Start with a small drill bit, then go progressively larger.  Then, and only then use the easy out.

If that doesn't work, then you may need to drill the stud completely out and either rethread of use a time-sert.  They are better than helicoils (or so my brother claims -  he works in a machine shop, so I believe him).

Good luck,

Victor

>>> "Marc Peterson" <mpeters6@rochester.rr.com> 10/29 10:42 AM >>>
I busted all those studs trying to get the old DP off.  Can i just get an
easy-out and screw them out, or will I need to drill them out and retap the
threads?  If so, what size tap?  Help!

Its an 8 valve.

TIA,
Marc