Re: 7 weeks later - core support damage fixed

Kevin...that bar looks great!  Any way Ron might be insterested in
designing one that bolts to the front bumper bolts so that no welding
would be required?  I would pony up $200 easily for a quality bar that
doesn't require welding.

Eric

On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Kevin Collins wrote:

> Man it's been a long 7 weeks!  My car went into the frame shop in early
> September for cracks in the core support and motor mount area.  As it
> came apart and the grease was stripped away, the damage was found to be
> much more serious than originally thought.  Fortunately, the frame guy
> has done this nasty job before, and Ron Wood of VW Specialties was along
> for the ride - Ron also has experience here.  Ron fabricated a custom front
> "stress bar" that was added when the welding up of the cracks was completed.
> Before and after pics are below.  The resulting repair should leave me with
> a front end that's "better than new".
>
> Ron could probably be talked into making more of these bars if anyone is
> interested.  The cost is about $200.  Here are the pics.. beware!  The
> "before" pics are pretty nasty!
>
> http://www.deco.net/klc/mvc-502s.jpg
> http://www.deco.net/klc/mvc-503s.jpg
> http://www.deco.net/klc/mvc-504s.jpg
> http://www.deco.net/klc/mvc-505s.jpg
> http://www.deco.net/klc/mvc-506s.jpg
> http://www.deco.net/klc/mvc-507s.jpg
> http://www.deco.net/klc/mvc-508s.jpg
> http://www.deco.net/klc/mvc-509s.jpg
> http://www.deco.net/klc/mvc-510s.jpg
> http://www.deco.net/klc/mvc-511s.jpg
> http://www.deco.net/klc/mvc-512s.jpg
> http://www.deco.net/klc/mvc-513s.jpg
>
> --
> Kevin Collins
> Huntington Beach, CA
> '86.5 16V 2.0
> '00 Passat GLS 1.8T

Eric
Westminster, CO

76 Honda CB400F Super Sport
79 Scirocco (Parts car)
80 Scirocco (Parts car)
81 Scirocco S (2.0 16v swap and complete restoration in progress)
84 Scirocco Automatic (Katy's Daily Driver)
91 Cabriolet (2.0 8v swap and mechanical rebuild in progress)
00 Golf GL TDI (My Daily Driver)

-Kelli Fox