RE: fun with c16

I'm not trying to piss on your party, but I might do that.

When I was in school, one of the ME labs consisted of a measurement project
of our own choosing.  They put some restrictions on it, though - we had a
Superflow dyno and a 350, a F*&d 4-banger, and a Dodge truck V10 at our
disposal, and they said we couldn't test the effects of octane or Splitfire
plugs.  These had both been done many times in previous classes, and nobody
was able to realize a statistically significant difference in either case.
(My group ended up running the 350 with cooling water at 190 and 160 degrees
F and got a 1-2 hp gain.)

Is your timing advanced too far, causing the pinging?  That would
potentially result in more power when you move to something with higher
octane that is less likely to predetonate.  If the timing is set the same
and you don't have pinging, see if there is a measurable difference.  (Since
the placebo effect comes into play, the butt dyno isn't accurate enough for
this one.)

Aaron
'87 528e
'82 Scirocco