RE: differences between 02A/020, are they swappable?

> You will be spending a bunch o cash to get a 6-sp conversion done on a 02A.
> Not sure about the 02J, but its probably even even more.  No 02A's are 6-sp
> stock, at least in the US.

Quite true, but Europe has had 6 speed 02A's for some time now.

> As far as fitment, the 02A's should just bolt up, but you will probably need
> the whole "plus" axle 5 lug setup.  An advantage to that is if you are
> running 15's, you can just bolt up a set of 11.3" rotors and calipers, which
> is really cool.

Yarrow's 1.8T Mk1 was running a 02A from a TDI, and looked like it was
using the stock axels/hubs.

> Actually, I'm not sure about the whole clutch delima, the VR6 cars come with
> a different flywheel/PP/clutch setup which may not play well with the 16V
> crank.

Now here I think I can help.  The TDI guys running 02As are having clutch
problems when they start modding the TDIs for more power.  The solution?
A Corrado G60 flywheel with VR6 pressure plate and clutch disk.  If the
G60 flywheel fits, then you should be able to run what ever pressure plate
fits your crank, and use the VR6 clutch disk....

> Basically, its really expensive, unless you can find a GLX/GTI that was
> wrecked in the rear.

PS---This is quite true.   As an aside Allyn, I am speaking with a guy in
Germany about getting a couple of 6 speed TDI 02As from Golf GT TDIs
here...if you are serious let me know, I will get you the details on
prices and such once I have them nailed down.

--
Eric
Westminster, CO

76 Honda CB400F Super Sport
79 Scirocco (Parts car)
80 Scirocco (Parts car)
81 Scirocco S (2.0 16v swap and complete restoration in progress)
84 Scirocco Automatic (Katy's Daily Driver)
91 Cabriolet (2.0 8v swap and mechanical rebuild in progress)
00 Golf GL TDI (My Daily Driver)

-Kelli Fox