RE: How do I improve my turn in? A1 Jetta

Correct tire pressure depends on any number of factors. We know that you
want better turn in response. This calls for a higher pressure up front
(don't touch the rear yet). How heavy are your 15" rims? What kind of tires
do you have and what are the max pressures on the sidewall? My old BBS 16lb
15x6.5" with Dunlop SP8k and I ran 30/27lbs. Now, I'm running 11lb O.Z.
Superlegera 15x7" with Bridgestone S-03! So, I've cranked the pressures up
to a whopping 36/33lbs.

I do recommend running a modest front swaybar -especially if you've got the
Quaife installed. Your street and autox performance will be enhanced. I run
a 19mm front bar with my Quaife'd Mk1. I can't get wheel spin exiting
corners unless I try really hard. In fact, my tires are so damned grippy
that I am considering a move up in bar size from 19/25mm to 22/28mm. I've
got too much lean right now.

Other random stuff:
Install the front upper and lower stress bars without fear. The rear may
help a wee bit but it shouldn't be a priority. What are you running for
camber up front? I like -1.5deg for street use. A teeny fraction of toe out
will definitely make the car react faster. However, the day to day
practicality factor may make this a bad idea. Move your battery to (the
right side of) the trunk (hitting the rear seat backs) where it belongs!
What are you running for upper strut bearings? Install some poly units and
you'll like the difference it makes. Finally, with your 40mm ride height
drop plus heavier engine, are your front control arms parallel to the ground
or pointing slightly downwards at the outboard ends? If they're pointing
upwards, then you're going to get big camber changes during roll conditions.
This, of course, will blow your traction, reduce grip, and thusly reduce
your turn in performance.

(Okay, my fingers are tired.)
Scott F. Williams
Account Manager