Re: Needed: Priest to Perform Exorcism (long and tedious e-mail...beware)

Warren,
     Welcome to the list.  With the info you gave here are my educated
guesses...

Before you do anything, get a Bentley manual.  You'll be performing exorcisms
in no time ;)

<many snips to follow>
>After this, no
>more oil pressure problem...until last week.  I'm now getting low oil
>pressure light from the under 2000 rpm sensor.  It seems to happen:
>     1.  When the car is at operating temperature.
>     2.  Primarily when the engine is under load.
>     3.  Only below 2000 rpm.
> Before anyone starts thinking on this, I should point out (and I know I
> should be beaten for this) the car is currently running with 5W30 oil.

There are 2 issues... one with oil pressure, one with operating temp.  One may
be causing the other.  5W-30 is way too light, especially since your car runs
hot.  the 5w-30 combined with the 130c oil temp may result in less than
adequate oil pressure below 2K...  above 2K there may be enough pressure to
keep the light from coming on.  I'm assuming you don't have an oil pressure
gauge...

Also, how long has the 5W-30 been in...    since last week? ;)

> plan is to do the following:
>     1.  Change to 10W30 and see if that does the trick.

Actually I'd use 10W-40, if the problem is at operating temp... the change from
5W-30 to 10W-30 isn't going to help you.  Don't know if your a synthetic oil
type of guy... I don't use anything but.  It will stand up to the heat better.

>     2.  Replace the "under 2000 rpm" sensor

If switching to 10W-40 does not improve the problem, I would check the Bentley
for a way to test the integrity of the sensor before replacing it.  If it tests
out OK, you might want to put in an oil pressure gauge.  So you can see exactly
what is happening with the pressure... beats the hell out of guessing.

>     3.  Replace the oil pump.

If you get this far with no resolve... and the oil pressure is low.  Replace
the pump.  Potterman is the dude to talk to www.parts4vws.com

>At highway speed the oil temp is still a bit high I guess, it's
> 120 c where my old one was more like 110-115.

I never see more than 100c unless in traffic on a warm day.

> Here's the plan:
>     1.  Replace the sensor/switch that controls the fan and see if that does
> it.
>     2.  Flush the radiator...(I may do this anyway with winter approaching)

Good plan, definately something with the fan if it doesn't run when it's hot
after shutdown.

Yes, www.parts4vws.com, yes, Bentley

> Engine Vibration/Clunk!:  I know, I know...motor mounts.
>     1.  Replace the driver side mount.
>     2.  Remove the aftermarket thing is it's still clunking after I replace
> the motor mount.

If a mount is bad it is very possible the drivetrain could move 1/2 inch or
more under hard driving.  FWIW, I don't have a front swaybar.  PO removed it
and I don't think I'm going to replace it. Very neutral handling, minimal
understeer, 4 wheel drifts on exit ramps...  highly recommend the upper stress
bar though.

> My questions are, how do I go about replacing the driver's side mount?

you guessed it... Bentley.  If you need more info you can search the archives
(www.scirocco.org)

>Oh and I've started to notice a creeking sound when the car bounces.  Now,
>this car has brand spanking new struts and strut mounts, what the hell is the
> creeking?

Could be a lot of things... suspension bushings most likely.  Could be that bum
motor mount, the front sway bar... hard to say.

>Should I just take off the new tires and insert a new Sicrocco?
> Should I drive it off a cliff?

Hell no dude... a Bentley, a call to Potterman, and some troubleshootin' should
set you straight.

> should I be
> able to watch the oil guage needle slightly fluctuate when I turn the stereo
> up?  I mean it seems to be functioning more as a VU meter/Amperage meter
> more than an oil guage.  Sould I just get a priest to perform an excorcism?

Grounds baby, it's all about the grounds.  Clean 'em, replace ground wires.  If
you wanted to be proactive, look up the major ones in the Bentley and
clean/replace all of 'em.  Start with battery to motor, motor to body and keep
going.

> Thanks,
>
> Warren Price
>
> It's not all bad, it's black, excellent paint and interior, sunroof, it
> looks sweet.
Take comfort there... not easy to find these days.

HTH,
Matt
'87 16v roc