RE: 16v starter woes, I think...

I would suggest trying to move the engine by the crank using a socket wrench
with the apropiate socket. If it spins with no weird noises then remove the
timing mark plastic cover on the transmission and look inside for any
abnormality. You may also try removing the two screws that hold the lower
metal cover that is beetween the engine and the tranny (you'll have to bend
the metal sheet towards the engine for clearance). Try pushing the flywheel
backand forth to see if it is loose. Also remove the starter and try
starting it outside of the car to check for malfunctioning selenoid or
starter.

Gabriel
'87 Scirocco 16v