From: "humpnyomom" <humpnyomom@home.com>
To: <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Subject: Jumpy Voltage & Loss of Power
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 00:54:21 -0400

I believe the Bentley says that voltage should be between 13.5 and 14.5
volts when the car is running. My car's voltage never made it to 14 volts.
So I replaced the positive wire from the battery to the starter and the
starter to the alternator with 4 gauge wire. Now it will get to 14 volts,
but it will fluctuate, sometimes all the way down to 12 volts. When I turn
my headlights on it stays between 12 and 13 volts. I have euro headlights
that are relayed, and it did the same thing with my non-relayed US
headlights. So I replaced the ground wire that goes from the negative side
of the battery to the frame with 4 gauge wire too. This made it a little
better, but it still does the same thing. What could be the problem? It
seems that when the voltage drops below 13.5 volts, my car looses power
between 2k and 3.5k rpms and it idles like crap. The car is an '86 16v.
Please help!

Justin
'86 Scirocco 16v 2.0L