Re: Needed: Priest to Perform Exorcism (long and tedious e-mail...beware)

--- Warren Price <wprice@neo.rr.com> wrote:
The
> advice is worth at
> least a beer to anyone who happens to be in Northeast
> Ohio.  In fact, this
> e-mail is so long, it's worth a beer to anyone who takes
> the time to read it
> even if you don't provide advice.

I'll be sure to look you up next time I'm visiting
relatives in NE Ohio.  ;p

> Before anyone starts thinking on this, I should point out
> (and I know I
> should be beaten for this) the car is currently running
> with 5W30 oil.  My
> plan is to do the following:
>     1.  Change to 10W30 and see if that does the trick.

Even that is too thin.  Normally I run 20w50 in the summer,
10w40 in the winter.  10w30 is just *too* thin.

Otherwise, your order of replacing things seems logical.

and if I
> ultimately have to get
> an oil pump, where and how much?

Remember the mantra:
www.parts4vws.com OR www.germanautoparts.com

> Engine Temp:  I think she's running too hot.  At idle the
> temp shoots up to
> just below the final line there at the top of the
> guage...and there it
> pretty much stays while at idle or in stop and go.  The
> temp is ok on the
> highway.  The fan is kicking on...but I've noticed a
> couple things about
> that...it just doesn't seem to run as much as the one in
> my 85 8v did and I
> never hear it run after I shut the car off like I did
> with the 85.

Couple things.  One, the thicker oil should help you out
slightly, and the other - replace your fan switch with a
lower temp switch.  You could also change to a lower temp
thermostat, though it seems to take longer to get heat in
the winter with that.  (Luckily I don't drive mine in the
really cold season.)

Again, I'd like
> to know, good
> plan/bad plan and where and how much can I get this
> switch for the fan, can
> I get a lower temperature switch, and where is it at on
> the car???

The switch is located towards the bottom of the radiator on
the driver's side.

Do you have a Bentley Manual BTW?  If not, GET ONE.

Here's the problem....  the vibration is
> worse (not nearly
> as bad as when I bought the car) the clunk is better, but
> it is still there
> just to a lesser degree.

I'm not sure I totally follow all this.  You've replaced
the front mount, rear mount and p-side mount, correct?
Have you checked the front cross member for cracks near the
front motor mount bracket?

  Now I know next to nothing
> about suspension.  The
> mechanic tells me there is an after market anti-sway bar
> of some sort.  The
> bolts holding this thing on run horizontally through a
> rubber bushing that
> obviously looks important and looks factory.  He said he
> had this
> aftermarket thing off when he test drove the car and
> didn't hear any clunk.

The 16v does have a factory 4-point bar on it, is this what
he's referring to?  There are also aftermarket versions,
and perhaps you are hitting on it...

>     1.  Replace the driver side mount.

Can't hurt - probably needs done as desperatley as the
others.

>     2.  Remove the aftermarket thing is it's still
> clunking after I replace
> the motor mount.

Yep.

> My questions are, how do I go about replacing the
> driver's side mount? (I'm
> getting a mount that is pre-pressed, the mechanic buddy
> has a bunch of them
> pre-pressed he's pratically giving to me), do I need to
> align the engine in
> some way?

You'll have to un-do the front and rear mounts and tilt the
engine / tranny down out of the car somewhat.  Otherwise
it's a matter of removing the bolts that hold it to the
tranny.

Oh and
> I've started to notice a creeking sound when the car
> bounces.  Now, this car
> has brand spanking new struts and strut mounts, what the
> hell is the
> creeking?

I have no clue.  I've got a creak on my '85 that's been
there for years.  Beats me as to what it is, but it still
drives ok.

  Should I just take off the new tires and
> insert a new Sicrocco?
> Should I drive it off a cliff?

Nooooo!!!!

I'm no electrical expert so I can't really help ya too much
with the oil gauge problem.  Better grounding is always a
good idea on these cars though, they're notoriously bad.

=====
Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
Sciroccos! Pickups! Passats! Oh my!