Re: TECH:Trying to confirm rod knock (+ Suggestion)

> Then click on "Muir Engine Sounds"  Then go down to Engine Noises and
> "Loose
> Connecting Rod"  Here is the direct link:
>
> <http://www.volks.net/sounds/muir/looserod.wav>

Ben,
Thanks for the excellent link! To me the audio sample reminded me of my
mom's mercedes diesel. The cabriolet sounds different. The
tapping/knocking varies with engine speed even in neutral, although not
as pronounced as when under load. The thing that stumps me is that it
is NOT audible when the engine is first started.

ground the spark plug trick:
> So, how does this work?  Please enlighten us.  Thanks and HTH,
to diagnose rod knock, I read somewhere that you can ground the spark
plug wire of the suspect cylinder/piston/rod to see if the knock goes
away. The reasoning behind it is that if there is no
combustion/explosion to force the piston/loose rod against the crank
journals, then the rod knock will not be created.

thanks,
chrisg
'82 8v
'88 16v