Re: TECH:Trying to confirm rod knock

In my experience a worn rod bearing always knocks loudest in the first few seconds after you start the car until oil pressure builds up, so it doesn't sound like a rod to me. Maybe a main bearing, or it could be something else entirely. Does it get louder under load? Do you have an oil pressure gauge and if so has the pressure dropped?

---
'86 Scirocco 8V, soon to be sold
'82 Scirocco 1.8 8v - the daily driver
'81 Caddy
'78 Rabbit 1.7L rustbucket in semi-retirement
'86 Celica GTS
'02 PT Cruiser - the wife's boat