Re: Factory Oil Cooler removal Q's...

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001 11:26:49 -0700 "Fry, Larry" <LEF@chem-tronics.com>
writes:
>Ron-  I'm curious; what are the reasons for removing the factory oil
>cooler?

1) They leak.
2) They suck.
3) They suck and they leak.
4) They suck and they leak, and sometimes they leak for a long time
before you
     discover they're leaking (internally) and by then, its too late.
5)  They suck and they leak, and sometimes they leak for a long time
before you      discover they're leaking (internally) and by then, its
too late and your now
     replacing the shortblock.

its one of the very first things I do to a newly aquired VW. If they need
an oil cooler, I install a REAL cooler and be done with it. Doesn't have
to be expensive or fancy. Most any cooler works flawlessly for years.

(My cooler on the 82 is one that Tim at ND sold me way back in 94 or 95.
Its still working flawlessly with well over 130,000 HARD miles. You
should get a thermostated cooler is my only firm recommendation. Other
than that, get what you can.

Shawn Méze
86' Jetta GLi 8V       84' Scirocco 8V           88' Corvette -SS 30-
82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 54-     79' "Project FSP Scirocco"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco(s) in all of
San Diego!