Re: Questions, Questions, Questions (long/many)

-- Cory Langford <cory.langford@icbc.com> wrote:
> First Quesitons About brakes (while we are on this
> topic):
>
>   I am completly redoing the braking on the project
> car.  Before I order
> all my parts I figure I would get all this straight
> :)
>
>   I have a 16V setup (10 fronts, rear discs, mc,
> booster).  The MC is
> needed, but is the booster?
==================================
If your car is 1985 or up - no.

  I think I remember
> there being a problem
> with fitting the 16V booster onto the 8B peddal
> assembly.  Is this
> correct?  Does the 16V MC fit onto the 8V booster
> with out any problems?
Only on the 1985 & up. The 1985 & up boosters (8V &
16V) are all the same (I tink da pedals is da same
too)

>   The carriers on the front brakes have torn boots.
> I assume these are
> replacable, or do I need to go grab new carriers?
=================
Dunno.

>   On the topic of a3 rear cals.  Anyone done this?
============================
Potterman. Me soon.

> If so shoot me a
> little note on how the conversion went.  I figure if
> I am replacing
> stuff now, I don't want to have to replace the rear
> cal. again when the
> e-brake dies.  What are the brake line/ e-brake
> issues?
===================
Yee must alter.

  Will the
> standard 16V stainless set of brake lines still
> work, or is there a
> length issue?
=====================
Potterman has SS on his, so I guess it works.

> Quesition on Drive Axles (only semi Rocco)
>
>  Anyone happen to know what Tranny came in a '86
> Jetta?
====================================
Various codes. Some had 90mm some had 100mm. Was this
a Jetta, Jetta GL, Jetta GLI, etc?

 I am assuming
> they would have 100 MM on both ends, but are the
> drive axles the same
> length as the rocco's?
=================================
The answer is no (I think one side is the same, but I
forget which).

HTH

=====
Mark Peele
1985 Scirocco, 1982 Scirocco, 1981 Scirocco, 1978 Scirocco, 1987 Golf GT
http://www.scirocco2.de/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM
Need parts? try http://www.parts4vws.com/ (Potterman)
or http://www.germanautoparts.com/ (Adirondack)