Drive Axle Question

Hi,
     I picked up the new drive axles this morning, have to take them back
Monday.  Turns out the flanges on my 8v are not what the book says they should
be, specifically I need the axles with the larger diameter CV on the inside.
According to the books at my parts supplier, the flanges I have are actually for
a 16v, being the 100mm variety.  My question is, is the book wrong or were the
flanges changed at some point when I wasn't looking?
     I'm concerned because we're going with the 16v drive axles, and I'm going
to get really cranky if they're the right size at the flanges but the wrong
length or something equally silly.  Are there 8v driveaxles with the 100mm CV
joints?  Is that actually stock or is there more to my car than I thought?
     Just for background, it's extremely unlikely the flanges have been
changed.  I bought the car in '90 (it's an 87) from a dealership, had about 40k
on it, so I would guess the transaxle hadn't been played with too much at that
point.  Since then, I know I haven't changed the flanges.  The transaxle was
rebuilt about a year ago, but that was for 2nd and 5th gears, the diff was fine.
     Thanks for any help.

Cheers,
Colin