From: Joe Doty [mailto:rocco2nr@hotmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2001 12:23 PM
To: scirocco_88_16v@hotmail.com; Dirk@Scirocco2.de;
scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Cc: DEREKSHIELDS@webtv.net
Subject: Re: someone needs qualified help : thrust bearing problem

The exact same thing had happened to the 9A block that I had bought, I'm not

sure exactly how it would get like that.  I suppose if you had a heavier
pressure plate and had your foot on the clutch all the time then it could
happen.  But this was not a high mileage block.  Fortunately in my case the
bearing seat did not get damaged but the crankshaft was shot.  If the
crankshaft bearing surface that the sides of the thrust bearing ride on have

been damaged you will have to pull the crank (basically the whole engine),
but if it hasnt then you can replace the thrust bearing rather easily.

Joe

>Dirk,
>
>The thrust bearing he is talking about is actually the rear main bearing,
>on
>this bearing the surface wraps around the journal end cap.
>Look at the attached picture the large bearing to the left, what this does
>is reduce the amount of crankshaft walk. Yes these will go bad after a
>period of time, just think about how many times you use your clutch a day
>when driving the car and the amount of force that is necessary to
>disengauge
>the clutch. All that force is transfered to that load area on the rear
>bearing , so is it common for a vehicle with 150K or poor maintainence to
>fail I would say yes. Also the amount of play he is talking about could
>cause other failures on the bottom end.

[Disclaimer]This e-mail is strictly confidential and intended solely for the
addressee. It may contain information which is covered by legal,
professional, or other privilege. If you are not the intended addressee you
must not use, disclose, or copy this transmission. This E-mail is not
intended to impose nor shall it be construed as imposing any legally binding
obligation upon GKN Aerospace Chem-tronics Inc. and/or any of its
subsidiaries or associated companies. Neither GKN Aerospace Chem-tronics
Inc. nor any of its subsidiaries or associated companies gives any
representation or warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the
contents of this E-mail. GKN Aerospace Chem-tronics Inc. shall not be held
liable to any person resulting from the use of any information contained in
this E-mail and shall not be liable to any person who acts or omits to do
anything in reliance upon it.