Re: Nasty Idle Question

On Mon, 15 Oct 2001 21:22:43 -0400 (EDT) Colin <cwass99@home.com> writes:
>Hi,
>     I'm quite new to this list, but I searched the archive using
>every
>combination of words that seemed to fit and had no good hits.
>First the car:

Allow me to commend your efforts to do a little research on your own
before posting.
THANK YOU!!

Not that there is anything wrong with posting out loud. Answers to many
questions are in the archives and as of late, questions seem to repeat
themselves quite heavily and I find myself in the la-la land of
de-ja-vou. Anyways, good deal.

>The problem:
>
>When it first starts on a relatively warm day, it idles like a 20
>year old Ford.

I think I know what your problem is.
Does it run a little worse than peak for about the first 8-10 minutes
then CLICK, it runs "right". You might not notice the "flick of a switch"
effect if its just started occurring and sometimes it will run like this
for a couple years before it degrades to the level of "needs attention
NOW".
Im thinking your warm up regulator (mounts on the front of the block, 2
fuel lines attached to it and a 2 wire plug.) is taking a crapolah. Its
causing an overly rich/lean condition until its switched off by the
computer. (or is it the thermo time switch... doesn't matter it gets
switched off regardless.)
What you can do to sort the problem is........... unplug it! if the next
time you start it, and it runs right then you will know what it is. Easy
to fox, can be expensive tho.
GL!

Shawn Méze
86' Jetta GLi 8V       84' Scirocco 8V           88' Corvette -SS 30-
82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 54-     79' "Project FSP Scirocco"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco(s) in all of
San Diego!