RE: Anyone have any experience with heavy body work?

--- "L. M. Lloyd" <ubik@austin.rr.com> wrote:
>Why do you say it would be too
> heavy? As far as the castability of the shape goes, I work with
> polyurethane resins on a daily basis, and I simply don't see why you
The only method I am aware of when pouring a mold also fills in the
volume of the mold, unlike a lay up process, where you only follow the
contour of the mold.

> that carbon fiber had to be heat treated to cure properly, and I
> don't have access to that large an oven/kiln. As far a Kevlar goes, I
formula 1 monocoque chassis usually are cured in a vacuum and heated,
but that is not absolutely necessary. that is done to keep the amount
of epoxy used to a minimum (ie weight savings) and to prevent
delamination (ie strength). for things like hoods and spoilers, vacuum
is not as crucial, but you get better (looking) results. you can also
vacuum bag the part, which  let's you get by without having to use a
huge oven/vacuum chamber.

chrisg
'82 8v
'88 16v