Re: Anyone have any experience with heavy body work?

On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 04:27:27PM -0500, L. M. Lloyd wrote:

> > IMO your best bet would be to create fiberglass molds and then lay
> > up the piece in carbon fiber or kevlar. Fiberglass is only
> > "unhealthy" if you totally disregard basic safety precautions, like
> > a mask and
> > coveralls.

> I have never worked with carbon fiber, but it was my understanding
> that carbon fiber had to be heat treated to cure properly,

All depends on what resin you choose.  Some fiberglass resins need over
curing too.

> As far a Kevlar goes, I know nothing about working with it, so it had
> simply not occurred to me.

Both CF and Kevlar are a complete pain in the ass to work with.  They're
both hell on cutting tools.  In additon, kevlar is nearly impossible to
repair any damage to it.  You can't sand it, the fibers wont shear, so it
just turns into a big fuzzy mess.  Other than bragging rights, there is
no reason to use either of them in this application.  E-glass or S-glass
would work fine.

dan

--
If a guy tells me the probability of failure is
1 in 10E5, I know he's full of crap.

-- Richard P. Feynmann, "What Do You Care What Other People Think?"