Re: Depressurizing the fuel system

--- zlegrow@home.com wrote:

> I read the service manual that I had for the Jetta and
> Fox I had
> owned (not very good for either, all diagrams were of a
> 78 Rabbit
> engine, which wasn't that helpful) , and it said to
> replace the fuel
> filter, air cleaner, or sparkplugs.

You need a Bentley manual.  Period.  Haynes *might* be
useful as a backup, and the Chilton is nothing more than a
wheel chock.

> I've replaced the air cleaner (clogged solid), and now
> I'm gonna do
> the fuel filter, but it says I have to depressurize the
> fuel system,
> and to do this, just pull the fuse for the fuel pump and
> start the car,
> and let it run until it stalls. Now, I pull the fuse..
> the car won't start.
> Uh-oh. I put the fuse back in, the car starts on the
> first try.

Basically it's just so you won't get sprayed in the face
with gasoline.  With the car running, pull the fuel pump
fuse, and the car will die.

> P.S.- OUCH! FUEL FILTER $40! AIEEEEEEEE!

Be sure it's a Bosch...   :)

=====
Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
Sciroccos! Pickups! Passats! Oh my!