Re: CV bolts and those washer things.

In some cases they are there for clearance also.  There are different length
bolts for different applications and if you don't use the U shaped washers
then there is a chance that the end of the bolt could rub on the trans
(after it goes through the flange).  I know this to be true on the
Bus/Beetle/Vanagon inner CVs but not absolutely sure about the FWD trans
since I have ALWAYS used them!

Dave