[TECH] Exhaust

I am thinking of running a straight pipe. What are the disadvantages to this
? Other than being loud. I have a 2.0 bottom end, 1.8 Head port matched and
polished with Autotech cams, Supersprint header and Autotech exhaust from
the resonator back. My Dynosuck muffler (that came with the Autotech system)
has a hole in it already AND even though it appears to fit rather well in my
81s, the tailpipe is too long. It would take forever to separate the ugly
tail pipe from the lame muffler. So my options are run a piece of straight
pipe from the pipe near the axle to a tailpipe (something not too
punky) -OR- find a muffler that will fit an MK1 with and ID/OD that will fit
the pipe. Uh ? Yeah...Any suggestions ?

Thanks,

Jason