Re: 78 scirocco, how to get cheap power?

SailingFC@aol.com wrote:

> 1.  Remove the restrictor in the primary side of the throttle body.
> 2.  Remove the silencer snorkle neck on the intake of the air box.
> 3.  Build a bracket to stand off the control pressure regulator off the front
> of the engine block to reduce heat soak.
> 4.  Adjust ignition timing to 6 deg. BTDC if engine can tolerate it w/o
> pinging.  If not go as much as you can up to when it begins to ping.
>
> -Dick-
> 78 Scirocco
> Original Owner
> http://member.aol.com/sailingfc/

Addendum from a former '77 owner-

1. The restrictor is located in the throttle body's primary 'throat'.
It is shaped somewhat like a doughnut. Getting it out involves punching
out the dowel or pin holding it in place. Might be able to do it with
the thing on the car but I think I remember you need to pull the four
bolts off to get at it.

2. This one is obvious, you can't miss it.

3. I like this one, even a block of some material would help, might need
longer bolts.

4. Run a can of B12-ChemTool through the fuel system on a 1/4 tank of
gas. Don't rev too high nor mash the pedal too hard while this stuff is
in the car. The point is to flush the injectors and the back of the
valves, etc. This should also decrease carbon build up in the cylinders
(to a point)- all in order to minimize that nasty ping you might get
from advancing the timing.

Dick Wong; My Hero <sigh>

TBerk