[tech] Automatic Starters

I finally managed to install the starter in my brother's newly acquired
Jetta. It also started without any problems.  The old starter had been fried
and I also needed to replace the old connections.

Now I have a new problemo.....upon starting, the wire which comes from the
starter relay to the positive of the battery fried.  It literally smoked up
and turned black.  So I replaced it with a bigger gauge wire and it still
smoked.  Presently, I'm not prepared to start the car.  Where on earth do I
start?  Aside from an exhaust leak, the car is great.  Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

TIA

Sal