Re: what should a fuel pump sound like?

Should be a nice even hum like a bee.  If it varies very much at all (the
sound) and/or you can hear it over your motor then you have problems.  When
I get into a car and start it, no matter what it is, and I can hear the pump
from the driver's seat with the motor running then I will generally
reccomend replacing the pump.  You only have one pump I believe but if you
have two (pre and main) then you will have to figure out which one is making
noise.  And if the pre pump isn't making noise then it needs to be replaced
(easy way to check is to disconnect power supply to the pump after removing
the cover under the back seat and seeing if there is a difference in
sound--if the sound stops when disconnected then it is working).   Most of
this is a combination of commen sense and experience.  Don't be afraid since
there isn't a whole lot you can do to the pumps just by
connecting/disconnecting and listenning for noises/or quietness.  My moto--
Man made it, I can fix it!! (just say that over and over to yourself!!)
HTH!!

Dave