what should a fuel pump sound like?

My 85 8v has been running a little rough when cold lately.  I noticed that
when i switch it to AC (pump is disconected) the radiator fan kicks on , but
the engine rpm stays the same.  So, i concluded that the aux. air regulator
must not be working quite right.
However, i stepped out of my car, and walked around to the fuel pump side
while it was running cold last night.  From about 10' away i could hear the
fuel pump whizzing away.  It didn't sound destructive, but like a cat
hissing.  I have never noticed this before.  Last time i had a fuel pump go
bad, the car would stall after freeway use, but my car runs great when it has
warmed up.

Could it be going?  I am thinking i ought to replace it anyway, like a timing
belt, but the $200 price tag is a bit more to consider than a $10 timing belt!
Any ideas or other warning signs i should look out for?
thanks
Ben
85 8v
84 8v in hiding