Axle Nut Removal was: wheel bearings - update

Brad Sayer wrote:

> I rented the tool from Rapid for $30.  Worked perfectly! It really isn't
> that hard at all.
>
> The one tool that was indespensible was a plumbers wrench.  I broke one
> 90deg socket type tool on the axle nut, then used the plumbers wrench.  Then
> when using the tool to press out the bearing, you have to hold this giant
> nut in place (must be 30+mm) and I didn't have anything that would fit
> besides a plumbers wrench
<snip>
> Brad

I'd like everybody to get a 30 mm socket and a breaker bar and a short
(no more than 2") extension.  The larger width drive the better. 3/8"
won't cut it, I have sheared off even the next size up (1/2"?)  but the
one after that should be sufficient (3/4"?).

Since you will be generating many foot/pounds you will need the car on
the ground with the weight on the wheel(s). Only after things are loose
would you hike it up on a jack stand.

Other thing to add is the need to have an axle in the hub (and tight)
when putting the wheel on the ground to roll the car. If you are halfway
through a fix and need to move the car, do not do so with an empty hub
(no axle) the bearing needs the support of the bound axle to prevent damage.

hth,
TBerk
Half my body weight at the end of a two foot breaker bar seems just the
right torque.  : ]