Re: Help! R134 is the pits (hope you're not too sick of this topic!)

Re using the new A/C stuff in your old system-

Perhaps you might want to maximize the heat transfer by cleaning the
front (what is it called, and the Condenser? Evaporator?) in front of
the rad.

You might also consider installing one of those brushless muffin fans
that run on 12v, you can get them for $5-10US, mounted on the front to
PUSH air in and hooked to trigger (prob w/ inline fuse and and a diode
wouldn't hurt to prevent backwash),  these thing are built for computer
cases but serve in other respects. I'd think a great big 3" or larger
would be in order.

Other than that I wonder if you have the big square compressor or the
later round type, I believe the early kind was not as efficient and put
quite a load on the motor.

hth,
TBerk