RE: engine vs california inspection

A while back I heard that up in the Los Angeles area they were setting up
mobile smog tests on the side of the road. The idea was to randomly stop
vehicles and put them on the rollers to try and catch polluters. As a San
Diego resident, I figured there wasn't much of a chance of me getting caught
in one of these traps.

What do you know, about a month ago I was driving down Navajo Road across
from the Mission Trails golf course (for those of you not familiar with the
San Diego area, Navajo Road is in a middle-class neighborhood dotted with
small stores) and I see an orange, Caltrans-style diamond pop-up sign that
says "Survey in Progress" and another one indicating that one of the two
lanes was shut down. I figured that some type of land survey was going on.
However, as I got further down the road, on the side of the road was a CHP
car and a truck with a weird trailer, as well as a bunch of equipment that
looked nothing like those little tripod land survey things. Sure enough,
they had a pick-up truck on rollers on the weird trailer and were checking
it for smog. The pick-up truck they were testing belonged to a local
exterminator company. I cruised by in my '81 and nobody even looked at me.
Whew--that's all I needed on my day off.

It was positioned on a blind curve, so the location would make it real
difficult for you to stop and make a U-turn without calling attention to
yourself. And one thing that was really interesting is that there were no
signs or markings on anything to indicate what those guys were doing. It was
almost like a secret X-Files type of thing.

Just to make sure I was right about it being a smog test, I did a little
research on the internet. Sure enough, I found that when they set up this
type of road-side smog testing, they do use signs that say "Survey in
Progress" and they do it in locations that make it hard to turn around.

Damn--this thing was set up only about a mile from my house! And I figure
the next time Meze comes over they'll probably catch him! They would
definitely see (and hear) him coming!

Apparently some people are fighting these mobile smog checkers. They are
questioning the random method they use to pull over cars. Seems that some
types of vehicles are getting pulled over more often than others and that a
certain ethnic group is more likely to be driving those types of vehicles.