Re: engine vs california inspection

"Josh[deady]Able" wrote:

> Hey.
> Ok, I was considering doing dual carbs on my 16v, but I was told that there
> wasn't anyway that it would pass the visual part of California's inspection.
> Is this true?
> This is also for Northern California, not southern, does that matter?
>
> Any chance I could swap in a 2.0 8v turbo engine instead? It would be a
> newer engine than that 16v, and it wouldn't be "old school" like the carbs.
>
> in short.....what the hell can I do to my engine and keep in legal for
> northern California?
>
> ty
>
> Josh Able
> 87 16v Seidl

It's both a county by county thing as well as a regional air quality
zone thing.

Cali is moving towards every car on a dynamometer (rolling road you
limeys) in the future but for now is limiting it to certain poor air zones.

If you live waaaaay out in the boonies you can just get a cert based on
a tail pipe test, if you live in the middle of the Metro area you will
get some guy who has the fear of God put in him and he wants to pass it
on to you, the owner of a modified car that Still Passes SMOG!!!! Grrrr,
hook up the damn probe and test me you moron! But noooooo, it doesn't
have widget XYZ so it fails visual.

Your car as you describe it would be classified as Track Use Only.

TBerk
<sigh> A referee process is available but good luck.