RE: [sunroof] pop-pop?

<snip Dan>
ok, I'm closing my sunroof at work today and it gets aboot 2.5" from
completely closing and it goes pop-pop and it almost felt like the handle
was going to start free-spinning. I opened it again, and closed it again,
got the same pops. Now the rear of the sunroof can be pushed down, thus,
it's not sealing.

Anyone had this happen to them?
<end snip>

Yup, BTDT.  The handle is skipping teeth.  Mine worked the other way, after
a few pop-pops, the handle would lock into place (the button would pop) with
the roof still slid open an inch or two.  Turned out it just needed a good
cleaning and lubing.  The goop in the tracks, on the cables, etc was
creating too much drag and would cause the handle to jump teeth at the point
it connects to the roof.

- Brad
'86.5 Volkswagen Scirocco 16v
'76 International Scout II