Re: 5th gear conversion

There are a number of factors to watch out for -- like how hilly is the
area in which you live, how much low-end grunt does your car have, etc...

I have the 0.75 and am thrilled with it, even with a stock 1.8 16V.  It
makes a huge difference on the highway, and I rarely - if ever - have to
downshift on Interstates, even on the worst mountain passes.

The 0.75 and 0.71 will reduce top speed on a stock 16V; the 0.80 will raise
it slightly. All 3 will reduce passing power.  All 3 should (in theory)
improve gas mileage.

That being said, I vote for the 0.75 or the 0.80.  The 0.71 is too much of
a drop from stock 4th, and passing power isn't exactly awe-inspiring.  The
0.80 is a great improvement over stock.

All 3 gears are close enough together that tach error is probably greater
than the difference between any 2 of them -- but still; it's a matter of
taste.  I compromised with the 0.75.  If I had to do it again, I'd probably
do the 0.80, just because it's almost the same benefit of noise reduction
and wear -- without compromising top speed.

Jason