Re: dismantling my rocco

On Sat, 29 Sep 2001 11:51:31 -0700 "Adam Lefevre" <adaml701@yahoo.com> wrote

>ok, I'm getting ready to rip my roc apart so I can prep the body for new
>paint, re-do the interior, overhaul the engine & tranny, lower it and all
>that good stuff.  I plan on labeling everything that I will put back on the
>car as well as the wiring (A to A, B to B, etc). I'm going to group parts
>together in boxes according to their respective systems (engine, interior,
>etc). Nuts, bolts, screws will be bagged and labeled. It's going to be a
>long restoration as I'm going to replace any parts that are no good or even
>questionable. Where's a good place to start? Any tips, tricks or hints from
>those who have done this before?

Ooooh, so been there, done that.  My advice to you is:  If you think
you are labeling enough things and in enough detail, then you are
not, do it more.

I took my '81 Rabbit Convertible down to nothing and back.  I thought
I was doing a pretty good job of labeling things....thank God I have
a near-photographic memory, because there were lots of things that
were questions.

My advice:

1) use a good masking tape and permanent marker, or heavy duty ziploc
bags in various sizes.  Boxes are good too. Label, label, label.

2) I was bagging stuff up, labelling the bag, then putting it in
boxes.  Consider making a running inventory of what bags of what are
in what box.  I spent so much time pawing thru the boxes looking for
some part....

3) SAVE EVERYTHING.  I did what you are planning, replaced things
that looked bad or questionable, but never having seen some of this
stuff before, I lost some pieces that I didn't think were important .
I was acutally running a box of pieces I removed that I didn't think
I would reuse vs. boxes of stuff I knew would be replaced, and I had
to go into that first box a lot.

4) One "mistake" I made was when I pulled the dash, I just threw
every fastener I removed into a baggie labeled, "dash".  I still have
some of them in the bag....the lesson is to perhaps break it down to
a finer level of detail as to exactly where the little buggers went.
(Label, label, label)

5) Electrical connections are the most important to label well, I think.

HTH!
| Jim Jarrett,Rochester NY      '93 Passat GLX, '84 Scirocco    |
| mailto:jarrett@rpa.net         '81 Rabbit Convertible 16v     |