Cold idle issue

Just noticed this today, as the temps were a bit nippy this morning.  The
engine fires right up, but then drops to a rough idle and dies within 5
seconds.  Cold start is spraying just fine, it just seems to be too lean.
If I start it and rev slightly I can get it to stay running, and withing 15
or 20 seconds it will idle fine.  It runs great after that, but once it
warms up it backfires very slightly when doing engine braking. (too rich?)
Was thinking that the engine temp sensor was faulty, so I checked the
connector, and noticed that I can push the connector into the sensor about
1/4 inch.  This is the sensor on the driver's side of the engine, in the
head on the end.  Isn't this supposed to be a solid hunk of metal, like the
thermo/time switch sensor? (which is brand new, by the way)

Its a stock 1981 S with a 1.7 CIS and a totally hollow cat.

Thanks,
Marc