Re: 16V transplant

On Sat, 1 Dec 2001 00:55:12 -0500 thescirocco@juno.com writes:

> I was going to use the drain hole, but I decided that it would be a
> bad idea...
>
> Standing in front of the car, look between the coil and the brake
> booster, there is a round stamping in the firewall, that is made for
> a harness.
>
> I measured the harness hole on the 16V Scirocco, bought a bi-metal
> hole saw, drilled the hole, removed the sharp edge, POR'd, and painted
> it. I installed the harness and took several weeks to decide where to
put
> the boxes...

Should've read:

The large black CIS-E box mounts flat, all the way on the driver's
side of the wiper cowl, right next to the hood hooks.

I opened the CIS-E black box, to see how the PCB was mounted, the
components face up,
with the mounting tabs flat against the wiper cowl shelf, allowing it to
dissipate heat.
I used the spring clip from a 16V Scirocco CIS-E box/ignition modile
bracket, it clips to
the back of the box, 2 tech screws secure it..

I put the knock box right above the CIS-E box, against the wiper
cowl, right below the rubber seal that seals the engine compartment from
the wiper cowl. I used aluminum standoffs, so that the harness
wouldn't get stressed, and used the 2 mounting points.

I installed the ignition module, with a large 8V cooling plate, on
the passenger side of the wiper cowl, similar to where the knock box is
on a 16V Scirocco.

I hope that makes more sense...

Peter - <http://thescirocco.com> - Discount Techtonics, Peloquin LSD,
Autotech-Quaife USA, Ronal USA, Motorworks, & Magnecor Dealer -  Bear, DE
19701
'79 Scirocco 16V 25 049
'83 GTI 37 505
'84.5 Scirocco 42 133
'84 GTI 63 348  - SciRollers: '79 70 900, '84 Black, '88 Red -
Free Rustfree Rabbit shell