Re: 16V transplant

On Fri, 30 Nov 2001 19:54:28 -0700 "Ken" <mcfly67@qwest.net> writes:
> I am trying to mount the 2 computers in the rain tray area and route
> the thick cable into the engine bay.  There is a hole in the bottom of
> the drip tray area allready but intended for just drainige I think
because
> there used to be a rubber collapsable grommet there.  It points down
very near
> the corner (strut) and has a match on the otherside. (passenger)  It
> looks like there is a round knock-out stamped in the sheet metal facing
forward
> allready that is very similar to the one in the 16v car.  Is this
> supposed to be a hint for us converters?  How about a hint or two on
the best
> places to mount these 2 computer boxes.  Looks pretty cramnped in
there.  I
> am surfing for a picture, but most engine pics are from the front with
> a poor view of this area.
> Thanks for any advice here.
>
> Ken
> 1979 Scirocco  "McFly"
> 16v conversion - Engine in, now the hard part
> Electrical  : (
> VORTEX:  "Indiana Red"

I was going to use the drain hole, but I decided that it would be a bad
idea...

Standing in front of the car, look between the coil and the brake
booster, there is a round stamping in the firewall, that is made for a
harness.

I measured the harness hole on the 16V Scirocco, bought a bi-metal hole
saw, drilled the hole, removed the sharp edge, POR'd, and painted it. I
installed the harness and took several weeks to decide where to put the
boxes...

The large black CIS-E box mounts flat, all the way on the driver's side
wiper cowl, right next to the hood hooks.
I opened my box, to see how the PCB was mounted, and the components are
facing up, so that the heat is better dissipated.
I used the spring clip from a 16V Scirocco CIS-E box bracket, from the
rear mount, and used tech screws to secure it, and it lays flat.

I put the knock box right above the CIS-E box, against the wiper cowl,
right below the rubber seal that seals the engine compartment from the
fresh air intake. I used aluminum standoffs, so that the harness wouldn't
get stressed, using the 2 mounting points.

I installed the ignition module, with a large 8V cooling plate, on the
passenger side of the wiper cowl, laying flat and secured.

HTH!

Peter - <http://thescirocco.com> - Discount Techtonics, Peloquin LSD,
Autotech-Quaife USA, Ronal USA, Motorworks, & Magnecor Dealer -  Bear, DE
19701
'79 Scirocco 16V 25 049
'83 GTI 37 505
'84.5 Scirocco 42 133
'84 GTI 63 348  - SciRollers: '79 70 900, '84 Black, '88 Red -
Free Rustfree Rabbit shell