Re: Removing steering rod end From HUB

On Fri, 30 Nov 2001, Mike VanAmburgh wrote:

> When I tore apart the 88 Roc, the steering wheel comes off after you
> remove the big-ass nut (technical term).  No special tools needed.

I think he meant taking the tie rod ends free from the bearing carrier.

Harbor freight has pickle forks for $ 10 or so, thats a good way to do it,
but it ruins the tie rod end boot, if you are re-using the tie rod this
can be a problem.

I have a VW special tool thats like a little press, i LOVE that tool as
tie rods always got stuck on me and i couldnt ever get them undone. now i
know for certain tie rod ends take 1 minute & the boot is still good.

You can do it with just a BFH but, i have had marginal luck doing it that
way, I highly recommend you get one of the above mentioned tools or make
sure all tender ears are out of range of the vulgarities you spew when you
cant get the %&*()#@&*()#$&@(# thing to come loose.

take care,

Steve