Dumb question about solid lifter heads

Are they supposed to clatter and clack?  Mine sounds like a hydro head when
you first start it in the morning, except that it never quiets down.  Is it
possible that I need to adjust the valve lash, or is it just the nature of
the beast?

BTW, I'm back on the street.  Got the exhaust manifold off (not fun), got my
busted studs replaced, and got the new downpipe back on.  Man, that made it
much quieter not having a big assed hole in the DP.  Probably that's why I'm
hearing the lifters now :)

Marc
re-'roc-ed