AVGas versus Race gas

I figure that my fellow tech geeks may find this interesting:

There is a debate going on the 323GTX list as to whether AVGas is a
reasonable substitute for high-octane automobile fuel. The usual "it worked
in my car, so there" opionions have trickled off and now somebody has come
forth with real technical information. So, here is a good (slightly edited)
snippet:
****************

"Aircraft motors tend to be steady state machines, accellerating and
decellerating less frequently than automotive engines (More often than using
the throttle, you change the pitch of the prop on more modern aircraft.)
Anyway,
they need low reid vapor pressures to prevent fuel from vapor-locking at
high-altitudes and they need good octane to provide power over time with low
EGT's. AVGas uses lead-branched parrafins to achieve this.

Racegas uses a blend of aromatic hydrocarbons to achive high octanes. This
prevents
knock and is very well suited to motors that must increase in RPM quickly.
Scott F. Williams
Account Manager
GENUiTY - Eastern Region
100 Wall Street, 10th Floor