Re: thoughts on breathing - long

On Wed, 28 Nov 2001 21:14:24 -0400 (EST) Colin <cwass99@home.com> writes:
> Hi,
>      I've been thinking about how to improve my 8v breathing and I
> figured I'd better get opinions before I did something permanent and
annoying.
> There are 2 basic problems to breathing on my stock CIS system and they
each
> attach directly to the air box/fuel distributor assembly.  The first is
the
> teeny little pipe that lets air in.  I removed the nasty little valve
that
> was there and re-ran the hose directly from the box to the connection
in the
> back of the air dam (yes, it stretched that far without difficulty and
stays
> put).  I was thinking, though, that this needs to be improved upon.  My

> first thought was to 'swiss cheese' the box, but then I had a better
idea.  If I
> were to get a 2 inch floor drain and cut an appropriate hole in the
bottom of
> the box, I could attach a second pipe and run it to the grill for a bit
of a
> ram air effect.  Done correctly and carefully, it should look quite
neat and
> tidy.

Look for a 16V lower airbox, it fits the 8V fuel distributor half, and it
has a ~3" inlet.
I have 16V airbox on my '83 GTI, I have an A2 16V TB rubber elbow on the
inlet connected to a sawed off A2 intake pipe, K&N filter, with a Power
Röhr, a 16V Scirocco throttle body, and a ported intake manifold.

> I've also considered cutting off the hose connection originally
> there and replacing it with a 3 inch bit of pipe.  Again, it should be
simple
> to make this look quite appropriate.  Any thoughts or comments?
>      The second breathing problem I see needing addressed is the
> pipe that joins the air box to the throttle body.  If you look closely,
you'll
> notice it's somewhat skinnier in the middle than on the ends.  I've
seen a
> couple advertised replacements for this and they all seem to be based
on
> somewhat flattened 3 inch piping with a 48 degree bend on one side to
make it
> fit. They also seem to be based on copper pipe.  My thought was to use
3 inch
> abs pipe.
> Does anybody know if this stuff can be bent?  I would guess liberal
> use of a propane torch would be helpful here, but I'm open to
suggestions.  I
> think staying with black abs would look most like the stock piece there

> now which is important when you're building a sleeper ;)

That's how some electricians do it, they also have heat pads...

On my '79 Scirocco 16V, I used a straight 3" black pipe and an '87 A2 16V
TB rubber elbow to connect it to the throttle body.
I don't know how it would work on an 8V, but it's worth a try...

> Besides, I don't have a
> pipe bender that will take 3 inch copper and I don't like the idea of
> paying lots of cash for something I should be able to build myself for
under $10.
>      I see both those things as extremely simple and inexpensive
> things that should improve the air flow into the system substantially.
My
> biggest concern is that opening up things that much might be more than
a basic CIS
> system can stand.  I'd appreciate any comments on this.
>      The whole point of this exercise is to make sure I have decent
> airflow for the bigger throttle body I'm going to try and get from the
wrecker's
> this week-end.  Any thoughts on which TB's I should be looking for?
I'm
> also going to try to get a spare intake manifold for my engine to do
the
> carving on to fit the new throttle body.  Worst case, I go get another
and try again
> if I screw it up.
>      I appreciate any thoughts or comments (except on spelling or
> grammar...;)).
>
> Cheers,
> Colin

Any A2 8V, AUDI 5000 non-turbo, 16V Scirocco if you change the throttle
cable.

Do you have a dual exhaust manifold on it yet, that's a great upgrade
from the toilet bowl...

HTH,
Peter - <http://thescirocco.com> - Discount Techtonics, Peloquin LSD,
Autotech-Quaife USA, Ronal USA, Motorworks, & Magnecor Dealer -  Bear, DE
19701
'79 Scirocco 16V 25 049
'83 GTI 37 505
'84.5 Scirocco 42 133
'84 GTI 63 348  - SciRollers: '79 70 900, '84 Black, '88 Red -
Free Rustfree Rabbit shell