From: Wm. Josiah Erikson [mailto:scirocco@insanetechnology.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2001 12:06 PM
To: Scirocco List
Subject: Looking for a 'roc again

Hello all,
	My brother crashed my '84 GTi (actually, it's a very amusing
story... read down if you happen to be interested), so I need a shell to
put all of my cool shit in (coilovers, engine, possibly trans, swaybars,
stressbars, blah blah...) and I'd love it to be a Scirocco. Preferably a
Mk1 (yeah, right), but I'd definitely settle for a straight, solid Mk2. If
anybody has one in the Western Mass area (will travel several hundred
miles for the right car, perhaps even further if you have a Mk1 or a
really really nice Mk2 for small potatoes). It can be in any mechanical
condition. If it runs, fine. If it doesn't, fine. If it needs an entirely
new drivetrain and suspension, great because I'm going to be replacing it
anyway. Ideally, it would have a not-completely-fucked-up interior, but
that's negotiable, as I'd like to keep the cost under $500 for my
brother's sake (he's paying, obviously).
	Let me know if you have any leads....

The story:

So, he's ranting and raving about how my car handles with the new
coilovers, and he and a friend up in VT were riding around on dirt back
roads with it, talking about how it couldn't be better. He also claims
that the Rabbit is faster 0-60 than either of his Datsuns (a 1975 280Z and
a 1981 ZX turbo). So, later that night, on his way home, he decides to
take a back road that he had been on before and wanted to try a particular
90 degree corner and take it faster. Brake hard into the corner, down into
second gear, ~25mph around the corner, about to accelerate when the rear
end kicks out. He's used to driving rear-drivers, so doesn't have the
twitch response of throttle-on when this happens, so it keeps going, all
the way around, sliding sideways and backwards off the inside of the
corner, into a ditch - spins the rest of the way around while sliding in -
Whonk! comes to rest on the front left corner of the car, both rear wheels
up in the air. He says it was at about a 45 degree angle. Amazingly,
although the entire radiator support section of the car is pushed right
about three inches, he managed to not crack the front left marker lens.
Pretty much it got pushed right by the bumper. I could fix it, but the
body is tired and more than a bit rusty, so it's not worth it. The car
still drives OK, although first gear ain't where it used to be :)

--
'87 5KCSTQW
'84 GTi

[Disclaimer]This e-mail is strictly confidential and intended solely for the
addressee. It may contain information which is covered by legal,
professional, or other privilege. If you are not the intended addressee you
must not use, disclose, or copy this transmission. This E-mail is not
intended to impose nor shall it be construed as imposing any legally binding
obligation upon GKN Aerospace Chem-tronics Inc. and/or any of its
subsidiaries or associated companies. Neither GKN Aerospace Chem-tronics
Inc. nor any of its subsidiaries or associated companies gives any
representation or warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the
contents of this E-mail. GKN Aerospace Chem-tronics Inc. shall not be held
liable to any person resulting from the use of any information contained in
this E-mail and shall not be liable to any person who acts or omits to do
anything in reliance upon it.