From: "Fry, Larry" <LEF@chem-tronics.com>
To: Gary Huff <scirocco86@home.com>, jester@westfailure.net
CC: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: RE: HELP!@# my rocco's frame is cracked bad :( I need a clean low
mileage reasonably cheap A1 shell of any sort!
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 11:54:20 -0800

Okay guys, in theory, a weld can be just as strong as the parent material.
Sometimes the recast portion(the "weld") can be even stronger, depending on
the filler material used, but even then, the heat-affected zone (parent
material immediately adjacent to the weld) usually will NOT be, unless the
entire structure goes through a carefully-controlled heat treatment.  This
means temperatures held to +-10 degrees F for up to several hours.
Then, the welding itself must be controlled as far as initial cleanliness
and protection from atmospheric contamination during the welding, both on
the front and the back-side of the weld zone.
On an automobile, neither of these things are possible.

So, while I would attempt the weld repair of Gary's car (I agree with
Steve)if it were mine, I appreciate Gary's concern for the long-term
integrity.  Bottom line; it's Gary's call, he has to live with it, and if he
feels most comfortable in getting a new shell, well, then, that's the best
thing for him.
enjoy the ride

Larry  sandiego16V